It may seem like I’m whining but honestly, it’s hard not to complain when people keep repeating their remarks out loud every time they see your face even if it’s every day just because your hair’s curly. Giving you a half-awed, half-condescending look, like they’ve never seen curly hair before a flow of stupid questions and tips follows that makes you want to pull your hair out. And they don’t care if you are annoyed, even if you are making it as obvious as possible.
I will be honest though, not all comments are bad. Here are 10 things curly haired girls listen to frequently:
1. Is your hair real? OR Where did you get the perm?
It’s flattering when people ask this but then at a certain point it gets exasperating especially if the same people keep on bugging you like your answer will change overnight.
2. When at the salon: why don’t you go for rebonding? Straight hair will look so good on you!
I’m paying you to thread my eyebrows not to hear your suggestions. If I want to get my hair straightened I’ll get it done without asking you, thanks.
3. People randomly pulling a strand: OMG your hair is actually this long?
Crazy as it sounds, usually this comment comes from random strangers who actually pull your hair, normally in public like it’s no big deal.
4. It must be so hard to manage your hair no?
I don’t even know how to answer this one.
5. Do you brush your hair at all?
What’s the point of having curly hair if I have to brush it?!
6. Styling curly hair is impossible.
Really? I didn’t know braids and buns were meant for straight/wavy hair only.
7. Do you like your hair? OR You must wish you had straight hair right?
Tell me: why would I NOT like my hair? One reason.
8. Do you ever straighten it? How long does it take?
Half my life. And 2% humidity for it to go back being itself in 2 minutes.
9. Your hair is like springs. *pulls random strands*
And yours is like wires. Seriously just stop pulling my hair!
10. How do you style it in the morning?
Crazy as it sounds, I don’t really have to 😉
Have a similar ‘hair’ story? Tell me in the comments! And don’t forget to share this post with your curly-haired friends!
Have something to contribute? Write a guest post.
If you’d like to work with me, contact me: